Thursday, September 11, 2014

You Gotta Walk That Lonesome Valley

I had to take the car to the dealer today for some tweaking, and on the walk back to the house I considered what songs might become earworms during the Camino. This one sprang to mind.


I have read about people taking along MP3 devices, listening to  music or Books On Tape, etc. I can't see doing either myself, but I think everyone has to do their own thing. Same with choosing where to start, what to carry, using taxi services for luggage, and so on. While it is understandably easy to be judgemental and view others as having a less authentic experience, it seems important to accept that we all come to the journey from different places.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this over the weekend (when Will was away). For me, if I were hiking alone I would miss listening to things I could understand. I could see listening to the occasional podcast very soothing.

    Also, I hate to be left alone to my own thoughts. I've very broken that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, you have no idea what you've started! I had heard of some walk, that pilgrims walked, but that's all I knew, it was just some vague knowledge I had. Didn't know where this trail was, how long it was or who (what sort of people) made this journey. Then you pop up and announce that you are going to walk the Camino de Santiago trail! I have done nothing but think about it, read about it and plan for when I might be able to do it ever since. I am in no shape to be attempting such a feat any time soon, so I have a lot of work to do. At the moment my plan is for Oct/Nov 2016 and to arrive in Santiago on or very close to my 60th birthday on 14th Nov.
    I don't think I would listen to music along the way. I'm very happy with my own thoughts.
    So, in the mean time I'm hanging off your every post and waiting with bated breath for you to actually hit the trail. Thanks for sharing your story Amanda!

    ReplyDelete