Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Resources About the Camino

This post is a work in progress: I'll add resources to it as I discover and use them.

Books
A Million Steps by Kurt Koontz

A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago by John Brierley.
Purchased, but it has not yet arrived. Not yet sure I'll want to carry this one along with me.

Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and Son by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez
This one is as much about making the movie as their relationship.
The author is a German comedian/author/presenter. I had never heard of him, but I think most Germans have.

Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago by Cheryl Powell

Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago by Tim Moore
I read this ages ago, but am rereading it now. Some of it is so funny, I have frightened the rest of the family with my spasms of laughter. I will NOT be taking a donkey with me. He also wrote a book about the Tour de France which makes him just about my favorite author ever!

Michelin Guide Camino de Santiago 
This is just a little book with maps -- one for each stage, more or less according to the Brierley route. I've written lots of notes in it already. It's very light. I expect to carry this one with me.

Apps
eCamino based on the John Brierley book. Perhaps I do not need the book.

TrekRight This looks very useful as it has albergues, etc in it.

RENFE The Spanish national train network's app. For arranging my return.

Voyages-SNCF.com The French national train network's app.

Websites/Blogs
www.caminoadventures.com
www.caminodesantiago.me From this site I downloaded two pdf files to my iPhone: one with ALL the albergues/refugios and one with RECOMMENDED albergues/refugios.
www.girlsontheway.com This is a blog written by a mother who walked the Camino with her two young daughters. The kids are serious hikers. I spent an entire day reading this.
www.trailjournals.com Backpacking journals and photos from long-distance hikers.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read The Trepidatious traveller - Camino Blog? An English woman living in Spain did Camino Frances with her adult daughter in 2013 and then this year she did Camino Portuguese on her own. Good reading and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete