Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Day 10: A Bit of Catching Up

The past two days have been rather uneventful, both in terms of terrain covered (16 km from Navarrete to Nájera yesterday and then 22 km from Nájera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada today) and scenery. The routes have been largely flat and unvaried, with fairly long stretches between civilization. The views are nice enough, but unchanging and don't translate that well into photos.

Entering the town tonight I passed a huge potato processing plant. It's that kind of thrilling here in suburban Santo Domingo (although the "old town" part has more charm). I couldn't help thinking about a young Eva Duarte trying to get the hell out of Junin.

Tomorrow promises to be more of the same, but on Friday I'll have three big climbs, topping out each time at around 1100 meters. Nothing quite like Day One, but I expect it will be work.

I ran into two pilgrims yesterday, a Spaniard and an American. Dropped the Spaniard, but ended up finishing the day with the American, and walked today with him again. That said, Derek is very slow, being out of shape and overweight, but I thought following his pace today might keep me from over doing as normally I push to walk as if I had no backpack. I expect he's not going to keep up much longer.

I went to visit the famous chickens in the town cathedral. They are difficult to photograph because of the way they are lit, but trust me-- they are there.

My blister toe gave me no trouble today. Otherwise I'm relatively injury/pain free, although on Sunday when I finished, I got a sort of charley horse in my right calf, and this feels odd from time to time, especially when I'm tired.

The weather has been ideal: cool, mostly sunny, and little if any wind.

I sought out a scale in a pharmacy tonight, and seems I weigh 300 grams less than when I started, although I may have weighed myself with fewer clothes and earlier in the day (ie, before breakfast) then. It's a bit of a trick to strip down to one's undies in the middle of a busy shop. I had to settle for setting down my little purse and taking off my Crocs. I'll probably be the only pilgrim ever to gain weight on the Camino.

I confess these two days have been a bit on the boring side, cathedral chickens not withstanding. And boring = a bit homesick. I'd like to beam into my own living room for the evening and sit with my Home Team and watch silly TV tonight. I promise I'll be ready to walk again tomorrow.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Spain

9 comments:

  1. More home remedies: for leg cramps, Steve swears that eating a spoonful of mustard (yellow if you can find it) stops the cramping. Something about the turmeric. I always roll my eyes, but it works for him.

    I would think that a few boring days and feeling homesick are part of the cycle. Remember, you're rockin' it! Hope tomorrow brings you cheer. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amanda,
    I am a interloper and friend of your uncle Jeff from the land of Lake Wobegon where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and the children are above average.

    I am glad to have this respite from the claustrophobic winter blues in MN, reading and being inspired vicariously as you adventurously make your pilgrimage in Spain.

    Peace be with you,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not missing anything at the home front. We are not watching silly TV. We play Mario Kart, charades, card games and put on skits. We invite guest instructors to give master classes in baking, wine tasting, and knitting. We go to antique stores to find art to replace the pictures in the living room that we have only tolerated out of politeness. We do yoga and play the piano together and are 1/3 of the way through an musical theater production that we are composing for a 12-piece orchestra. So don't worry. There is no silly TV to watch anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Home Team rocks it!! "We go to antique stores to find art to replace the pictures in the living room that we have only tolerated out of politeness." Dying!!

      Delete
    2. Home Team - you are amazing and awesome.

      Delete