Sunday, November 9, 2014

So It Begins

After a tearful farewell, the Home Team delivered me to the Lux Gare this morning for my 11:30 departure.

Now, almost 11 hours later, I'm in my little hotel room having successfully navigated a four-part journey from Lux to Lorraine to Bordeaux-Saint Jean to Bayonne (where I ALMOST missed my train, catching it with a spectacular sprint with the backpack) and finally arriving in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (SJPdP).

Tomorrow is a daunting 27 km climb over the Pyrenees. I expect it will take about eight hours. But last time I checked, the weather promised to be clear and sunny.

The local pilgrim office opens at 7:30, I believe, so I will go there to pick up my credentials which allow me to stay in the very modestly priced albergues (that is, where they are open -- this is not a busy season and many are closed). But the office will have a current list of what is open. I am also armed with Booking.com for the times no albergues exist.

I think tomorrow will be the hardest day of the whole trek. I think it will be one of the hardest things I will ever do. It's a little like childbirth -- I've set into motion something I very much want, but now it's going to get difficult. And I know I'm going to wonder why I was so sure I wanted to do this.

Thanks so much for all the kind wishes. Big hugs to you all, but especially to my Home Team.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

4 comments:

  1. HURRAY! It has begun. I can't tell you how excited for you I am. I'm so looking forward to reading your posts! Stay positive and keep going and I will be buying lots of bubbly to drink with you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have just seen your posts on the Camino Forum - Buen Camino. I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for getting on the train and getting to the start. The first emotional hurdle is over! Now it is time for you to put one foot in front of the other... because you can totally do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be following with great interest. You rock it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete