Friday, November 21, 2014

Day 12 (DAY 12!!)

I didn't post anything here yesterday (Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Belorado, 23 km) because I was tired, everything ached, the route was flat, foggy, and boring, and I was having another What-am-I-doing-here? moments.

Today (Belorado to San Juan de Ortega, 24 km) dawned drizzly and chilly and generally grey, but the profile of the walk made it interesting (up and more up) and there were trees not just plowed fields, so even without any views it was quiet and magical and I was renewed. I still miss my Home Team and friends desperately. But I also looked at the map and saw Burgos (I'll be there tomorrow) is a lot farther west than I realized.

I've completed 272.5 km (170 miles). It isn't getting easier, no not at all, but I see progress on the map.

Health-wise, my feet are fine. The blister is resolved. The arthritis (right foot) no longer seems to bump the side of my boot (something it decided to do on the train down from Luxembourg). The stress fracture (left foot) doesn't bother me.

What's new (as of last Sunday) is a weird ZING in my right calf. It's warm and not unpleasant, as if hot water were running down the outside of my calf. When I first noticed it (Sunday as I finished the hike), it was because I had a charley horse in my calf, but just for a moment. So I thought the weird feeling was, at first, the muscle saying, "Ouch!" after. For the early part of the week it only happened once or twice a day. Now it happens many times a day. Sometimes many times an hour. Googling only finds other people describing the same thing, but no one has an explanation. (Dr W, if you are reading this and think it's serious, message me and I'll get it looked at in Burgos tomorrow).

So that's the news from the Camino. Weather outlook continues to be pleasant (ie, no rain), and after today's hilly profile, I'm looking at a lot of F L A T for many days.

Much love to you all, especially the Home Team.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Arlanzón, Spain

1 comment:

  1. Staying healthy is important. Good on you for keeping close tabs on how you were feeling.

    ReplyDelete