Saturday, November 15, 2014

Day Six: Estella to Los Arcos, 23.14 km

So I just added things up, and I've walked 143.46 km since Monday. That's over 89 miles. Do I feel it? Yes, I do. But I'm feeling better in general, and the walks have been getting flatter. The backpack doesn't hurt my back, waist, and shoulders much at all any more, and I've gotten better at packing it.

Today had, again, a climb I was worried about (Monjardín), but when it came to actually doing it, it wasn't bad. The first third, or so, of today was remarkably residential, which surprised me.

I walked out the door of my B&B around 9:00 am, and before I even crossed the river back to the Camino, I saw I was following a group of pilgrims. Uh, oh, I thought, as I had never gotten any sort of confirmation on my accommodations for tonight (not for lack of effort on my part), and here was a whole gaggle of folks I was afraid I might have to compete with.

I caught up to them in front of a sign about the Camino where they were taking a group shot. They were very cheerful. I offered to take their pictures, and they adopted me immediately, announcing, "You shall lunch with us!"

There were ten of them, and I figured out that they were all friends from elementary school. They were walking a stage of the Camino every Saturday (for about 33 weeks). As they were basically just day hikers, they had small backpacks (like what I use on a Ramble), and they walked fast!

They didn't especially worry about leaving their men behind either. If you had a shoe problem, they walked on. Stopped behind a tree for a nature break, they walked on. Took a picture, they walked on.

"No stopping!" I heard one woman say. "I don't stop!"

They did, however, stop for lunch.

But then we were off again.

Foolishly, perhaps, I kept pace with them (I finished in under five hours today, averaging 4.65 km/hour). Carrying what I hope is closer to 9 kg now (everyday I try to throw something out) makes for a lot more effort to keep my normal pace (on my last hike with my hiking group, I averaged 4.88 km/hour). By the end of the hike, my feet felt like I had walked 10 km more.

So I feel ever so slightly like I boinked today: can't quite get warm, content to lie flat under a blanket with my eyes closed. I'm happy to just hang out until dinner, which I'm told I can have at around 21:00 if I really must eat so early.

I never figured out the deal on "cat town." Saw a few Big Farm Dogs, no cats that I can recall.

And I can't see much to recommend in Los Arcos. It's a grim little village with lots of half-finished construction. Maybe they are actually in the midst of a building boom. I'll think positively about it.

Tomorrow I am taking a break and only doing 18.6 km. The weather looks okay (partly cloudy, not too cold). Since the walk is so much shorter, maybe I'll even sleep in a bit, although I'm sure I'll be awake by 5:00 anyhow.

Hope everyone had a nice Saturday, and, as always, thanks for all the love.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Arcos, Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment