Monday, November 10, 2014

Day One: Wow. Just Wow!

Note: I'm having trouble getting this to upload. Apparently the photos are an issue. Frustrated, I put them on Facebook and removed them from this post

As I suspected, that was incredibly hard. Incredibly. Hard. 24 km at a blistering pace (3.24 km/hour) for 7 hours and 45 minutes (I paused, but I didn't really sit down much because I was afraid I'd never get up again).

I have seen other pilgrims. There was a Korean guy and a pretty blonde girl on the bus from Bayonne. Today I came across two Spaniards who ran away from me every time I caught up to them and a Cute Dutch Boy who was expecting colder weather, but walked too fast for me.

Today was not cold (although it got windy and I had to put on my hat and gloves for a while). It was perfect.

The final 3.6 km was endless. And treacherous. At least it was dry. And mercifully, my knees weren't screaming.

As for food, I didn't/couldn't eat much. I wanted to start this stage before 8:00 because I was worried about how long it would take. But the hotel didn't start serving until 8:00. So I inhaled some yogurt with honey, a slice each of cheese and ham, lots of water, and a few sips of coffee. I had to get going.

During the walk I ate an apple, a granola bar, and a few small pieces of a chocolate bar. I just didn't want food, stopping scared me (afraid I'd never get going again), and when I did eat or drink, I felt nauseated.

I'm happy to report that I'm hungry now, but have to wait until 19:00 to go to a restaurant across the street (only thing open).

Tomorrow is 21.5 km to Zubiri, but should be an easier walk, I hope. But rain forecast, so we shall see.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone. Expect typos.

Location:Calle de Nuestra SeƱora de Roncesvalles,Roncesvalles,Spain

2 comments:

  1. RIGHT FNG ON!!!!!! You did it! Day 1 and the hardest terrain! yahhoooo! you look fabulously vibrant in your videos and the scenery and "people" you met along the way were beautiful too. keep on keeping on, sister. Very proud of you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elevation you did was amazing! I couldn't believe how much you went up. And up. And up some more. Great job! One foot in front of the other.... enjoy all that you see!

    ReplyDelete