Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thankful. So Thankful.

Today I left the loving arms of Carmen (I think that's her name), the owner of the little place where I sought refuge yesterday in Población de Campos. Her tiny hotel was just what I needed -- with a garden full of cats. She was so kind, hugging me every chance she got. When I left this morning, she told me, "When you get to Santiago, will you say a prayer for peace in the world?"

Yes. Yes, I will, Carmen.

My walk was completely solitary, other than a joyful cyclist (the best kind) who shouted "BUEN CAMINO!" to me as he passed.

I had a lot of time to think about Thanksgiving, which always makes me wistful anyhow, and about all I have. I have so much. I am so grateful.

My husband is healthy, handsome, and still knows how to make me laugh. I love him more every day. We have so much fun together: I am grateful for every moment we share.

My daughters are a gift. They are kind, smart, and gorgeous. I love spending time with them. I am grateful for their perspectives on life. They keep me young, they teach me more than I ever imagined, and I treasure every moment with them.

My family -- for every time I've groaned or rolled my eyes, you've given me your hearts and hands and more. You've made me who I am, instilled in me the values I carry. It's a precious thing, and I love you all.

My friends, you are my strength. Even when I'm not off on some crazy epic adventure, I rely on your encouragement and good humor. You are all so different, from so many different places and experiences, but that's what I appreciate: different views on the world to keep me balanced and open-minded. You share your lives with me -- it is such an honor to be included. You are bad-ass in the best possible way. Thank you for all you have given me.

Today, on Thanksgiving, I'm alone, but I'm not lonely because I feel the incredible love you all have for me and for each other. The world holds a boundless joy, and I wish only good things for all of you today, and every day.

Thank you. Thank you all. I love you so much.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Carrión de Los Condes, Spain

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving and Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thankful for you too! You and your family are a wonderful part of our lives and we are so proud of all you are accomplishing!

    ReplyDelete